Jing‘an Temple is one of the most famous temples in Shanghai. It is located on West Nanjing Road, the hustle and bustle area of the city. In 1983 it was registered as one of the national protection places.
Jing'an Temple was first built during the Three Empires Period (220A.D to 280 A.D) and has had a history of more than 780 years. It was first titled Hudu Chong Yuan temple. However during the Southern Song Dynasty (1127 A.D. to 1279 A.D.), it was relocated to its current place from the bank of Wusong River and it became an overcrowded and famous place in 1908. The first tram was built and Jing‘an temple was selected as its first station. Unluckily, the temple was destroyed by a fire in early 1972. The re-construction took place in 1984. Three Sage Hall and the Room of Heavenly Kings were also renovated to its current features. In 1990, Jing‘an Temple was re-opened to the public.
The old Jing‘an Temple was composed of eight scenes; they were extremely popular at that time period. Unfortunately 7 of them were extinct due to over construction around the area. Estavel was located in front of Jing‘an Temple; it was excavated on 5th May 2009. There was another famous scene in Jing‘an temple, it was named “Six Spring” because spring water gushed out day and night. But after re-construction, the Sixth Spring has been relocated to the crossing of Huashan Highway and West Nanjing Highway, and regained its previous reputation.
In the temple there are three big halls - Hall of Heavenly Kings, Mahavira Hall and Three Sage Hall. Jing’an temple is famous for a portrait of the Sakyamuni; it is sitting in the Mahavira Hall. It is about 3.78 meters in height, 11,000ke in weight. It was so big that it had been torn down into several smaller pieces to be moved into the Mahavira Hall. The charming and tranquil expression of Budda conveys an atmosphere of auspiciousness and venerability.
There are a lot of folk and wonderful paintings as well as calligraphy by Yangzhou’s painters in the Display Hall of Buddhist Relics. A well-known master piece in the temple is a bronze bell made during the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644).
Each year there is a traditional fair held at Jing’an Temple. The day falls on the 8th day of Lunar April celebrating Buddha’s Birthday. On the date, all village residents attend the event and sell their hand-made crafts as well as home produced veggies and fruits. The temple event lasts three days and many people nearly also participate in the event and worship throughout the fair.
Address: 1686 West Nanjing Road, Jing’an District, Shanghai
Admission Fee: RMB30
Opening Hours: 7:30am - 5:00 pm