Day 1Shanghai to Huangshan by Train No. G1509 (Shanghai Hongqiao Railway Station - Huangshan Bei (north) Railway Station) Dep 08:31 - Arr 13:15
- Hongcun Village: It's located about 10 kilometers off the northeast part of Yixian County. An ancient village over 800 years old leaning against Mt. Huangshan, it is folded in the fog of the Mt Huangshan, which makes it look like a natural landscape painting. Parts of the famous film "Crouching Tiger and Hidden Dragon" were made here.
Surrounded by a picturesque moat with bridges to the village and a half-moon shaped pond in the centre, it is a favourite haunt of artists and students who often stay with local families to paint here. Laid out to represent a buffalo, it is one of the prettiest places in the area, known as the Chinese town in the pictures and has been listed by UNESCO for its beauty and largely undeveloped traditional streets and houses. Various halls, dwellings and an old school are open to visitors.
- Tunxi Ancient Street: It's located in the center of the old city of Tunxi,there are hundreds of old but well preserved rows of shops, evoking a bygone era in buildings that are simple and elegant. It is a commercial street that is only for pedestrians.
- Meals: No Meals
- Hotels: Libre Resorts | Huangshan International Hotel(in the city) | Xinan Country Villa Hotel(in the city)
Head for the mountains
Today comes the big highlight. You will head to climb up the mountain and stay overnight on the mountain. It is about an-hour driving time away from downtown Huangshan City to the foot of the mountain. Round-trip cable cars are included, which is about 10 minutes for a single way, ascending you to starting point of the mountain sightseeing.
Your guide, spending 300 days per year on the mountain, is carefully chosen for you. He will tailor the hiking route for your group basing on different situations.
1. Step off the cable car and walk to your hotel on the mountain – 30 minutes
Sightseeing: Umbrella Pine, Black Tiger Pine and Dream Flower Pine
2. Have a 4-star-hotel-standard buffet lunch and get refreshment
3. Explore the West Sea Grand Canyon, taking around 3 hours in total, which is one of highlights of the mountains.
The complete exploration includes the 1st ring, 2nd ring and the bottom of the canyon. Your guide will give you useful suggestions and help you group to maximize your enjoyment according to your health and energy.
For beginners, kids and senior travelers: Getting to the 1st ring and then getting back (2 hours). Then go to Cloud-dispelling Pavilion to enjoy the sunset, which is about 30 minutes walking distance away from your hotel.
For energetic travelers: Continue on going further to cover 2nd ring before returning (2 1/2 hours). If time enough, you can try to move forward to the Flying-over Rock and see the sunset at Bright Top, one of the best points to enjoy the sunset or sunrise. It is around 40 minutes walking distance between Bright Top and the hotel.
Good to Know
1. Tricks to save your energy. The whole hiking trip extends to some very narrow and steep sections, which may be a big challenge to the knees. In such situation, you can consider taking a monorail operating between the bottom of the West Sea Grand Canyon and main peak areas on the mountains. It costs CNY 80(USD $13) and takes 5 minutes.
2. Take the necessities on the mountain only. Your guide will remind you of storing your main luggage in the downtown hotel, which can be collected on your way back. Luggage storage service is also provided at the foot of the Yellow Mountains and each piece costs CNY 20(USD $4).
West Sea Grand Canyon
- Meals: Breakfast, Lunch at Buffet in a restaurant on the mountain
- Hotels: Xihai Hotel (in the mountains) | Huangshan Shilin Hotel | Huangshan Shilin Hotel
Day 3Huangshan to Shanghai by Train No. G1507 (Huangshan Bei (north) Railway Station - Shanghai Hongqiao Railway Station) Dep 13:50 - Arr 17:58
Mountain Hiking Trip
If weather and strength permit, it would be nice to get up early and shoot the spectacular sunrise at Refreshing Terrace. Actually it is one of the top reasons attracting numerous travelers.
After finishing the breakfast in the hotel, you will continue on the hiking trip from Lion Peak for the Dawn Pavilion, Stone Monkey Watching the Sea and various pines on the roadside. If interested, you can even try to go up to Beginning-to-Believe Peak and get a glimpse of the Mushroom Pavilion.
You will be transferred to the Huangshan North Station or airport to catch your train or flight to Shanghai or your next destination.